Experience the world of the Rocky Mountain Grizzly Bear
- Watch wild and natural grizzlies fishing for salmon in September and October
- Expertly-guided bear-viewing tours. Float down our river through bear habitat.
- Excellent meals in the main house and your own comfortable riverside cabin
- Ideal for couples or families looking to view wild grizzlies in their natural habitat
A little-known and remote valley
They come down from the mountains and feed on the salmon that come up our river.
Unlike the large popular national parks, where each bear attracts a cluster of onlookers, our valley is remote and little known.
A very personal experience
Our guides are experienced and certified. You will have a maximum of four guests to one guide.
As well as grizzlies, the valley in autumn is home to dozens of bald eagles who come to feed on the fish. You may also see black bears.
Grizzlies in their natural setting
Some bear-viewing operations habituate bears to humans. It is frequently these that are shown on wildlife videos and documentaries.
We prefer to view totally wild bears in their natural wilderness setting using our 4x4s, river rafts, and conditions permitting, on foot.
We do not use fixed viewing platforms. Instead we will move through the bears’ world, using our intimate knowledge of bear behaviour to keep you safe.
Real and Rewarding
For us the experience of watching the bears will always take precedence.
Because our bears are totally wild there is always a chance you will come away empty-handed, although more than 98 percent of our guests in the autumn have seen bears during their stay.
All the photos on this website have been taken at or around the ranch since 2006.
Safety around bears
We follow a set of established bear-viewing protocols under the careful guidance of one of Canada’s top bear biologists.
Your guides carry bear-deterrent. You will be briefed in bear safety during your stay at the ranch.
Grizzly Bear Ranch is a member of the British Columbia Commercial Bear Viewing Association, an organisation which is responsible for promoting safe viewing and bear conservation.
Equipped with cameras and binoculars you will travel with a trained and certified bear guide.
We typically return to the ranch mid-morning for breakfast.
Tracks, day beds and bear paths
We will also take one or more bear-viewing trips by raft down our river. This is a chance to enter the bears’ world at their level and often gives for excellent and intimate viewing.
You may also see a beaver, moose, elk, white-tailed deer, mule deer, porcupine, coyote or, very occasionally, a grey wolf, cougar or bobcat.
What you can expect
- Several guided grizzly-viewing trips
- One or more guided walks through grizzly habitat
- A talk on grizzlies in our area
- One or more scenic rafting trips down our river (conditions permitting)
- Extensive literature and information on grizzly bears
- Comfortable accommodation in riverside cabins and first-class cooking
A four-night grizzly-viewing holiday in September or October starts at C$1,950 per person plus taxes. This price is based on double occupancy.